STAR Program - HCET CHAT
Hoosier Uplands' STAR (Strong Teens Acting Responsibly) Program is an abstinence based education program with nine lessons/modules that are offer to Junior High/Middle School health classes in Jackson, Daviess, Pike, Dubois, Know, and Vanderburgh Counties. The program is federally funded and contracted through our partner, Health Care Education & Training (HCET). The program is intended to give students the necessary tools needed to make important decisions regarding their sexual health.
The STAR Program encourages students to practice abstinence in order to prevent teen pregnancies, sexually transmitted diseases, and other risks associated with sexual behaviors. The program also educates students on ways to deal with peer and partner pressures and how to have safe and healthy relationships.
STAR Program Goals
* To increase students refusal and negotiation skills
* To assist students in indentifying future goals and dreams
* To increase students intentions to abstain from sexual activity
* To increase positive attitudes and confidence in regards to abstinence
* To educate 100% of students' knowledge on the risks associated with sexual behaviors